Often times in a yoga class the teacher will suggest to the students to set an intention for the day’s practice and we thought that would be a nice sentiment to bring into this month’s challenge. Your intention can be something specific, or it can be something general like a theme or mantra. It can help carry you through your time on the mat, or it can be something that you can come back to throughout your practice - perhaps whenever you return to tadasana or balasana.
For this month’s challenge, there are six of us who have joined together to practice yoga in April: #aprilintentions hosted by Ola, Angie, Rae, Marion, Rox, and Rachael!
We will be taking turns and alternating the days we host the challenge pose. Here is the list of poses we will be practicing this month:
April 1-6, Opening/standing poses
1. Rox: Plank (Kumbhakasana)
2. Marion: Upward facing dog (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana)
3. Rae: One legged downward dog
4. Ola: Deep forward fold (Padahastasana)
5. Rachael: Tree pose (Vrksasana)
6. Angie: Cat & Cow variations (Marjaryasana & Bitilasana)
April 7-12, Arm balances / inversions
7. Rox: Side crow (Parsva Bakasana) with option for fallen angel
8. Marion: Perched piegon / block under back foot with option for Flying Pigeon (Eka pada galavasana)
9. Rae: Funky pincha or headstand
10. Ola: Handstand or handstand prep
11. Rachael: Wide legged handstand
12. Angie: Eight angle pose (Astavakrasana)
April 13-18, Backbends
13. Rox: Mermaid
14. Marion: Camel (Ustrasana)
15. Rae: King cobra (Raja Bhujangasana)
16. Ola: Two-Legged Inverted Staff Pose (Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana)
17. Rachael: Wild thing (Camatkarasana)
18. Angie: Crescent lunge with backbend (Anjaneyasana with backbend)
April 19-24, Hip openers
19. Rox: Lizard (Utthan Pristhasana)
20. Marion: Low lunge (Anjaneyasana)
21. Rae: Reclining compass aka infinity pose
22. Ola: Eagle pose (Garudasana)
23. Rachael: Bound angle pose (Baddha Konasana)
24. Angie: Half chair pose with transition to WIII and half moon
April 25-30, Closing/seated poses
25. Rox: Seated wide angle forward fold (Upavistha Konasana)
26. Marion: Lotus variation (Ardha padmasana, padmasana)
27. Rae: Reclining twist with double bind (Supta Matsyendrasana variation)
28. Ola: Reclining bound angle pose (Supta baddha konasana)
29. Rachael: Happy baby (Ananda Balasana)
30. Angie: Seated forward fold (Paschimottanasana)
Here is how you can participate in the challenge:
Post your photo of the day on tumblr and tag it with #aprilintentions. The six of us will be tracking the tag and liking/commenting/reblogging them.
- (Optional) You can also tag us (#tothemarathonandback, #bendyrae, #sassyyogi, #donutyogi, #nivueniconnue, #rachaeldee) in your posts too.
- In each of your posts, include a note about your intention for the day’s practice.
Remember to have fun, breathe, and enjoy your time on the mat. We will be offering modifications and variations for the poses, especially for the more challenging ones, so please do not force your body into a certain pose if you do not feel ready.
It’s yoga practice, not yoga perfect. Please don’t be discouraged if you have trouble with the pose of the day; message any one of us and we will be more than happy to help you. Please enjoy this month’s challenge and all of us are so excited to practice with you. We can’t wait to see all of your posts! Namaste.